Telecommunications, Media and Technology
Aluko & Oyebode advises participants in the telecommunications sector and its regulatory body on all aspects of telecommunications law, including regulatory, intellectual property, corporate, and licensing issues. Our Nigerian lawyers possess specialised and unique experience in the telecommunications field due to our active participation in the development of the current telecommunications policy by the federal government of Nigeria.
Aluko & Oyebode’s portfolio of services include:
- Advising on issues related to security structuring
- Reviewing agreements and security documentation for compliance with Nigerian law, including:
- Project Development Agreements
- Private Placement Memoranda
- Shareholders’ Agreements
- Loan Agreements
- Letters of Credit
- Carrying out legal due diligence on entities involved in transactions
- Counseling clients on Nigerian legal and regulatory approvals and consents
- Negotiating appropriate security packages
- Advising on foreign exchange issues
- Ensuring environmental compliance
- Rendering opinions to offshore counsel
Aluko & Oyebode has advised the largest telecommunications provider licensees in Sub-Saharan Africa of GSM at the auction of GSM licenses, as well as operators at the fixed wireless access auctions. Our telecommunications attorneys have also represented domestic and international clients in various telecommunications endeavors.
As the telecommunications sector rapidly expands across Nigeria and all over the world, the Nigerian law firm of Aluko & Oyebode’s leading telecommunications practice group can assist clients in all matters related to telecommunications.
MEDIA AND TECHNOLOGY
Our cutting edge of technology as it continues to develop at a rapid pace throughout Nigeria and across the world. Our attorneys have substantial expertise in the area of technology law, and we consistently enhance our knowledge as technology evolves and develops. Technology law can affect various areas of business and industry on an international basis, as follows:
- Intellectual property, such as trademarks, patents, copyrights, and licenses
- Financing of developing business propositions and modernisation projects
- Regulatory affairs
- Environmental law
- Transportation law, such as shipping and aviation
- Corporate and business law
The Nigerian law firm of Aluko & Oyebode has significant experience working with the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), the Nigerian entity that implements and coordinates Nigeria’s National Information Technology Policy. Under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, NITDA regulates all matters related to IT policy, including the registration of domain names through an indemnity bond procurement process. Similarly, the Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NIRA) is charged with managing the nation’s country code Top Level Domain (TLD) name, .ng.
Aluko & Oyebode has also represented various clients before the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation. In the context of this representation, Aluko & Oyebode has advised on a range of regulatory issues, such as the following:
- Developing a network/client base in Nigeria
- Procuring requisite licenses for various operations from the NCC
- Structuring Nigerian operations
- Cultivating relationships with other telecommunications service providers
As technology continues to develop and expand throughout Nigeria, Aluko & Oyebode anticipates an increasing involvement of technology laws, regulations, and procedures in all areas of its practice. Over the last five years, the Nigerian government has begun to recognise the importance of regulating technology development and has considered a bill to establish a national cyber security law, spurred in part by NIRA’s report that Nigeria’s Internet domain name registrations have reached 40,000 in number.
Aluko & Oyebode is dedicated to providing its clients with the most up-to-date information and advises on all legal issues, including technology law. Our lawyers keep abreast of domestic and international technological developments, as well as developments in the law resulting from or affecting technology.