In collaboration with the Lagos Chamber of Commerce International Arbitration Centre (LACIAC), Aluko & Oyebode will be sponsoring and hosting the IBA Arb40 – Young ICCA Workshop on “Computation of Damages” on Tuesday, 10 December 2019.
This IBA Arb40 – Young ICCA Workshop will feature panel sessions led by legal practitioners and quantum experts, dedicated to the discussion of the following topics, amongst others:
- The applicable legal principles for calculating the quantum of damages.
- Practical aspects of a damages claim, such as the use of factual and/or expert evidence, disclosure, visual aids, etc.
- Techniques for proactive case management, such as bifurcation of proceedings, joint expert reports, etc.
- Babatunde Fagbohunlu, SAN (Partner, Aluko & Oyebode)
- Ian Clemmence (Director, PwC)
- Kola Mayomi (Partner, S.P.A. Ajibade & Co.)
- Nania Owusu-Ankomah Sackey (Senior Associate, Bentsi-Enchill Letsa & Ankomah)
In most arbitrations, the primary relief sought by the claimant is damages. Therefore, in order to effectively represent their clients’ best interests, arbitration practitioners must have a clear understanding of the principles underlying damages computation, as well as the methodologies available for proof of damages. Equally important, practitioners must develop know-how around practical issues such as the nature of evidence required to support damages claims, and case management to ensure the damages claim is presented in the most effective way possible.
Registration has now closed.