Nigeria is one of the largest telecommunications markets in Africa, with a strong, multinational presence. The surge in mobile phone use has enhanced the lives of Nigerians and revolutionised the banking industry through the use of mobile banking apps. The sector, however, is adapting to the realities of changing trends, intense competition and regulatory scrutiny, and clients need a firm, hands-on experience of legal counsel in this constantly changing landscape.
Aluko & Oyebode advise leading Nigerian and global participants in the telecommunications sector on all aspects of telecommunications law, including regulatory, licensing issues, joint venture, restructuring, financing and various other commercial arrangements. Our lawyers have been active in this space since the liberalisation of the telecommunications space in 2001 and therefore possess specialised and unique experience in this sector. We are equally active in the development of policies in the telecommunications and technology space. We have experience working with several regulatory authorities in the telecommunications and technology areas.
We counsel Nigerian and international clients on a broad range of legal and regulatory issues, such as:
- procuring requisite licenses for telecommunications operations from the NCC
- regulatory compliance issues in respect of clients’ operations
- joint venture arrangements and financial structuring in the sector
- regulatory frameworks (permits and consents) for prospective operations
- regulations on software and hardware, licensing issues and approvals
- data protection and privacy
- regulation of online services (goods and services)
- social media platforms
- search engines
- payment platforms
- various commercial arrangements
In 2016, the Firm was named the Telecommunications Team of the Year and the Law Firm of the Year at the ESQ Nigerian Legal Awards.
Sumbo Akintola, who heads the Telecommunications, Media, Entertainment and Technology practice, has been described as a “first class” lawyer and “a notable practitioner” who is “a prominent figure in the Nigerian TMT market and draws praise for her expert advice” in the telecommunications sector by Who’s Who Legal.